HOW TO GET RESIDENCY BY INVESTMENT IN PORTUGAL?
The Golden Visa Portugal Residency programme launched by the Portuguese government with a purpose to enable investors from non-EU countries obtains a fully valid permit in Portugal (‘Golden Visa’) within a relatively shorter time frame.
The Portuguese Golden Visa Portugal Residency allows non-EU citizens to carry out one of the investments set out in the regulation to qualify to get a residency permit in Portugal. This residency permit allows the investor to enter and or live in Portugal with his family members and also travel freely within the vast majority of European countries (Schengen space).
The Golden Visa Portugal programme was specifically designed to pull foreign investment to Portugal; for this reason, the program is very straightforward and flexible having very simple and clear requirements. This programme further has extremely reduced minimum requirements that make it recognised as one of the most attractive residency visa programs for investors worldwide.
What Kinds of Investments are permitted Under the Golden Visa Rules?
The Golden Visa Portugal program has recently been widened to include another type of investment. The other type of investments that have been included in the Golden Visa program as a result of its widening include;
a) Property Investments:
Acquisition of property above € 500,000;
Acquisition of property above €350,000 in cases where the properties are beyond 30 years old or positioned in parts of urban restoration.
Property Lisbon & partners offer
Short and long rental solutions
Rental guarantee on all of our properties
Currency saving to beat the bank
Renovation and building planning
How long is the Golden Visa be valid?
Once issued to you, your Golden Visa will have an initial validity of one year which will then be renewed for the subsequent two years period.
What should I comply with before issued a Golden Visa Lisbon?
Aimed at attracting foreign investors, the Portugal Golden Visa demands very few requirements from investors. This demands the investor to comply with general requirements applicable to all types of qualifying investments and also with the specific requirements for each investment type.
The requirements that must be followed by all investors include;
To sustain the investment for at least five years.
The investment should be financed from funds out of Portugal.
An investor should enter Portugal with a valid Schengen visa in Portugal.
The absence of references to the Portuguese immigration and the Schengen visa services.
Proof of not being convicted of a relevant crime.
A minimum stays in Portugal for seven days during the first year and 14 days during each subsequent period of 2 years.
What is unique with every type of qualifying Golden Visa Portugal investment?
(a) Property Acquisitions
Acquisition of property above € 500.000;
Golden Visa Portugal is the quickest option
Minimum investment of € 500,000
Purchase of one or multiple properties
All property types qualify
Possibility of co-ownership
Freedom to use, rent or lease.
In the case of buildings older than 30 years or positioned in areas of urban rebirth, this value will include not only the property but the investment in the refurbishment works as well for the Golden Visa Portugal Residency. We are the leading company in Lisbon who can help you buy an apartment or building in Lisbon needing renovation. We can carry out the work for you and deliver the new apartment in no time. Once complete the property can come fully managed with a strong income.
GREAT SOURCE OF PORTUGAL PROPERTY FOR SALE BY TYPE
Schengen Golden Visa zone countries
The Schengen Visa Portugal is one country from many comprises an area covered by a group of 26 European countries who have all agreed to abolish passports and any immigration control at their common borders. This means that with a resident permit from Portugal, an investor is equally free to travel freely across these 26 countries.
The countries below are part of the Schengen Golden Visa zone: Belgium golden visa , Czech Republic golden visa, Austria golden visa, golden visa Estonia, Finland, France, Denmark, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Greece, Italy, Liechtenstein, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Poland, The Netherlands, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, golden visa Spain, Sweden, Switzerland.
Golden Visa Portugal for family members?
The Golden Visa Portugal Residency can be extended to the following family members: spouse, children and dependent family members. The Portugal Golden allows the investor’s family members also to apply and obtain a resident permit from Portugal by applying for ‘family reunion’.
Golden Visa Portugal family get Permanent Residency after five years
Any person that has been holding a valid Portuguese temporal residency title such as the Golden Visa for at least five years is under the Portuguese Law, qualify to obtain a Permanent Golden Residency Visa in Portugal.
For the Golden Visa Portugal investor and family members to be able to apply for Portugal Permanent Residency Visa , meeting the following criteria:
- No conviction of relevant crime during the past five years.
- Proof of income/financial independence
- Proof of accommodation in Portugal
- Basic knowledge of Portuguese
How to get Portuguese Citizenship visa?
The Portuguese golden visa legislation also sets out that any person, who has been validly resident in Portugal for at least six years, be it under a temporary or a permanent residency title is eligible to obtain a Portuguese visa residency Citizenship.
- Be 18 years old or older (but, not younger than 16 years old, married or legally responsible).
- The absence of conviction of any relevant crime
- Pass a Portuguese language test, which will act as proof of sufficient knowledge of the language
Which documents do I need to apply for Golden Visa in Portugal?
To apply for a Golden Visa Portugal
- Proof of Investment
- Passport & Valid Schengen Visa
- Portuguese Fiscal number
- Criminal Record from the country of residency
- Portuguese Criminal Record
- Declaration from the Tax Department showing no debts to the Tax Authorities.
- Declaration from Social Security proving the absence of debts to Social Security Authorities.
- Declaration from the investor establishing compliance with the investment conditions.
- Health Insurance valid in Portugal
- Two passport-type pictures
- Payment invoice for the application examination fee.
- What does the investor needs to do if his/her documents are not in the Portuguese language?
All documents that are in languages other than the Portuguese language and English are expected to be translated to Portuguese and the translation needs to be certified.
- Are there any specific requirements for documents issued by foreign authorities?
All documents issued by a foreign authority are expected to be legalised before submitted in Portugal. This legalisation entails obtaining the Apostille of the Hague Convention (when applicable) or legalisation by the Portuguese Consular services.
What is a Portuguese Fiscal Number for Golden Visa
A Fiscal Number is a Tax Number and identification number before the Portuguese Tax Authorities. This number is required for the investment to be carried out.
Where can I apply for the Golden Visa in Portugal?
You can apply for the Portuguese residency Golden Visa by submitting the application either personally or through a legal representative chosen by him using one of the following means:
- Online registration
This is done by registering online at the Services of Foreigners and Borders SEF Portugal website. After completing the registration, the investor will receive a password that will enable him/her to be able to access online to submit the necessary forms and documents.
- In person
Registration for a Golden Visa in Portugal can also be done in person at the Services of Foreigners and Borders in Portugal.
It is important to note that both the investor and family members are always expected to be present at the Services of Foreigner and Borders of Portugal for signature, fingerprinting and other formalities that need their presence.
Before taking any step of the Golden Visa in Portugal such as making any investment or submitting any application or document, we strongly advise you to seek legal advice from an experienced law firm.
Cost of Golden Visa Portugal
The following payments are made directly to the Services of Foreigners and Borders SEF Lisbon by those applying for a Golden Visa Portugal.
- Processing fee (application plus renewal) – € 514.80 (plus € 80.20 per family member)
- Initial Golden Visa – € 5,147.80
- Initial Golden Visa Portugal for Family unit – € 5,147.80
- Renewal of Golden Visa Portugal – € 2,573.90
How long is the Golden Visa Portugal application process
It usually takes a few months for the application to be processed once it has been submitted to SEFPortugal. Once the application has been processed, the investor or his/her legal representative will be contacted by SEF Portugal to set up an appointment with the investor (and family members) to collect fingerprints and signatures.
In some cases, the investor can go to the immigration services to leave the fingerprints and signatures before the investment and submission of the required documents.
Can I be refused the Golden Visa Portugal or its renewal
- He/she has not managed the investment for at least five years.
- He/she has not complied with the minimum periods of stay in Portugal
- He/she is a convicted and served a prison sentence of more than one year.
- The investor is currently serving a ban entry into a Portuguese territory following a removal measure of the country.
- On the claim of public health (this may be only applicable to diseases that have been defined by the WHO or other contagious parasitic diseases that are the subject to protection measures in the Portuguese territory)
- A Golden Visa in Portugal may be rejected on the claim of public order, public security or public health
What happens after 5 years with the golden visa Portugal
The investor is only required to keep the investment during the five years validity period of the Golden Visa Portugal.
- Can the investor trade the investment at whenever he/she no longer needs the Golden Visa Portugal Residency
- Must the investor live/use the property; can he/she rent it out to generate income?
Table of Contents
- Being a Digital Nomad Remote Worker in Portugal
- What are the Property Buying Costs in Portugal
- Portugal Golden Visa to be replaced with the D2 Or D7 Visa
- Reasons to Move to Lisbon Portugal
- Why Buy an Investment Property in the Algarve Portugal
- 2022 Portugal Golden Visa Resorts Lisbon City & The Algarve
- Why Portugal’s a Hot Spot for Hong Kong Investors
- Top 10 Ways To Get EU Residency
- Middle Class Chinese Citizens Are Moving To Portugal – Here’s Why
- Europe’s Booming Real Estate Market – Investor Insights