Search Through Our Great Lisbon Properties For Sale Portfolio
Portugal’s Golden Visa – Benefits and Timeline
Benefits of the Program
– Permanent free entry and travel throughout Portugal
– Permanent free entry and travel throughout the other 25 countries that are part of the Schengen Zone.
– Legal permission to live and work in Portugal, while keeping another residence in another country. The minimum required say in Portugal is 7 days in the first year after the initial investment, and 14 days during each following 2-year period. The stay periods need not be consecutive.
– Opportunity to become a part-time resident in Portugal and receive extensive tax exemptions for 10 years.
– Option to acquire a permanent resident status, 5 years after having made the initial required investment.
– Exempt from tax on worldwide income for the Portuguese Golden Visa holders, provided they live in Portugal for less than 183 per Portuguese tax year.
– The benefits are extensible to the following members of the investor’s family: the spouse or partner, under-aged or dependent children, dependent parents, and under-aged siblings, if legally under their supervision.
Your Rights as a Resident
By becoming a resident of Portugal under the Golden Visa program, you will be entitled to access the following, with no need for any special authorization:
– Professional training and education
– Official recognition of professional qualifications and education diplomas
– A professional activity, as either an independent professional or a hired employee
– Tax concessions, trade union protection, and social security benefits
– The law and the courts of law
Tax Regime for Non-Habitual Residents
– For a period of 10 years, taxation related to IRS (personal income tax) on labor income in Portugal is at a fixed rate of 20%
– Taxation applies to income derived from high added value activities of a scientific, artistic or technical nature.
– Pension incomes and employment incomes obtained abroad from self-employment are not taxed.
Requirements for Non-Resident Status:
– The applicant must not have been a resident in Portugal for at least the past 5 years.
– The applicant must register at the local tax office as a tax resident in Portugal
– The request must have been made on the Treasury Portal