Search Through Our Great Lisbon Properties For Sale Portfolio
Portugal Golden Visa Costs
Make sure that you are provided with a full and transparent quote as travel expenses, government fees and taxes, and professional fees all add to your total Golden Visa costs.
No matter which investment route you are taking, you must consider visa application fees, issuing fees, and the cost of professional assistance in the processing of a Golden Visa application,
Hiring professional assistance, while not mandatory, is still necessary and should be treated as an unavoidable expense of the process.
Upon application and upon renewal of the visa, as well as upon issuing and renewal of residence permits, the Portuguese government charges fees.
In 2018, these fees are as follows:
– Application Fee: €527.60 for the main applicant and €82.30 per additional applicant
– Permit Issue Fee: €5,274.40 per person for the initial permit and €2,637.20 per person at each renewal
– The Government application fees for permanent residency and citizenship are significantly lower(a few hundred euros for each applicant)
– Children under 18 are exempt from these fees
It is highly recommended that the costs of the following professional services are taken into consideration before making the decision:
– Professional assistance throughout the whole process of obtaining your Golden Visa, from initial application to obtaining permanent residency or full citizenship
– Translation and legislation of documents
– Tax representation
– Annual tax return preparation and filing in case you have Portugal-based income that is not subject to autonomous tax withheld at source, such as rents
– Professional assistance with the purchase, and possible renting, of property, especially in case you choose the real estate investment route
– Professional assistance with setting up and running a company, if you choose to set up or buy a business
Property Purchase Taxes
The purchase of property in Portugal is subject to Stamp Duty(imposto de selo) at the rate of 0.8% of the transaction value.
Property transfer tax(“IMT”) also applies to property purchase. With variations based on property type, status, and its intended use, the tax applies to all properties not intended as the owner’s permanent residence.
When following the property rehabilitation route, all VAT costs on works, up to the rate of 23%, are not factored into the amount required for investment on the Golden Visa.